Tuesday, December 10, 2013

End of the Semester

A little over a month ago, I signed up for my last semester at MJC. My last semester and I will be graduating with my AA in Language Studies. I am taking one class for my GE in the spring, but the rest of my classes are major related, so I am very excited.








Psych 102 Research Methods: Survey of various psychological research methods with an emphasis on research design, experimental procedures, descriptive methods, instrumentation and the collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting of research data. Research design and methodology will be examined through a review of research in a variety of sub-disciplines of psychology.

Psych 141 Human Lifespan:

-describe and evaluate the major psychological theories of human development.
-explain and assess the methods of research used to study human development.
-apply developmental research and theory to real-life situations.
-distinguish between universal influences and culturally specific influences on human development.
-compare and contrast the characteristics of each stage in the lifespan with preceding and subsequent stages.

Math 134 Elementary Statistics:
Elements of descriptive and inferential statistics, including probability, discrete and continuous probability distributions, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis, ANOVA, and nonparemetric statistics.

History 102 Post Civil War American History:

Survey of United States history from 1865 through contemporary period, exploring the intersection of politics, the economy, society, culture and geography. Periods covered include: Reconstruction,late-19th century industrialization, the American West, imperialism, the Progressive Era, World War I, the 1920s, the 1930s and the Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War, civil rights, and modern America.

Astro 160 Introduction to Modern Astronomy:

Introductory survey course in astronomy. Emphasis on current studies of the solar system, the study of extrasolar planetary systems, the birth and death of stars, and cosmology.

Spcom 130 Intercultural Communications:

Examines the influence of culture on human communication. Students will learn skills to communicate effectively with people from different cultures. Theoretical and practical models are explored. Emphasis on cultural identity, relationships, stereotyping, prejudice, nonverbal and verbal cues, values, beliefs, and norms.

This is more than a full load. Full time is 12 units. The maximum that MJC allows a student to take is 18 units. I got approval to take these 20 units. This will be the third semester in a row that I'll be taking 6 classes, but these ones add up to more units. I also will be on campus a little less than I am now and my work schedule will open up. More school, more work.
I am taking so many classes because as a psychology major, certain universities require certain classes to be completed before admission is granted. All California State Universities (CSU) require the completion of History 101 and 102. Every school I've applied to except for one require stats, a few want Psych 102, others want the 141. I gotta keep every one happy and keep my options open.
I've applied to 6 universities. I have a feeling I'll get into at least one of the universities I applied to.
Ryne is defiantly a factor in where I end up going to school. We've only been together for 4 months, but he and I both know this is a serious, long term relationship. We are in this for the long haul. I really don't want anyone to think I am basing my decision on a university on him, but he is a factor. He and I both have had our fair share of unhealthy relationships in the past, we know that we are in a strong, committed, healthy relationship.





This semester has been the hardest I've ever had to deal with. The work as not been especially difficult, nor have I had a problem managing me time. Quite the opposite has been my problem. I am in all GE classes, lower division classes, filled with students who are just barley out of high school, so there was a lot of screwing around and disrespectfulness in my Spanish class, and people who asked really stupid questions in my speech and biology classes. It was really frustrating, I felt like a lot of my time got wasted, and there was nothing I could do about it.
In addition to that, my speech professor passed away a little more than a week ago, so that class got a bit chaotic for a few days, plus the initial shock of his passing at such an early age.
I spent most of my semester begging for shifts every week. I was scheduled maybe 1-3 days a week. If I could work 3-4 days, I'd have been so much better off. I was available 6 days a week ad I kept getting scheduled on the only day I requested off every week. So I did not end up getting to be with my junior high girls very much. I really miss our small group time together. I do get to go to Hume Lake with them in January/February, and Elizabeth and I are planning something for New Years, maybe a sleep over ^_^
Overall, school was not that much fun, work stresses me out constantly, leading to church stress, relationship is wonderful, so happy with that <3

No comments: