Friday, September 02, 2005

I need your thoughts. I think I want to cut my hair. I'm talking about 1-2 inches just below my shoulders. So quite a bit shorter than now. I also want to dye my hair brown. Nothing freaky, just different. At the same time, I want to keep my hair long and keep it really super straight. I know I defiantly want it darker, but the length? Tell me your thoughts.
I feel so horrible. I'm sitting here on the internet eating some Cheez-Its, while thousands are suffering in the Gulf: the aftermath of hurricane Katarina. I have 2 very dear friends in Alabama. They were not hit as hard as others, but I still worry about them day in and out. The news is on at the moment, and I can not believe how selfish I can be sometimes. I can also see it in others, a lack of caring and sympathy.
  My roommate was on Amazon.com earlier and commented that after purchasing some "extras" from her wish list, she only had 10 more items on it. I told her she should help out the causes she had all that money lying around, but she told me that she didn't want to. I do, because I feel like I should not have the luxury of what I have, including water, a working toilet and even Cheese-Its. I mean these people are just normal Americans, not convicts, not plagued. They are normal people like me and they are asking for help. It is not coming fast enough. There are people dying in front of their loved ones, and there is nothing they can do. I think a problem could be the lack of information to the rest of the public. I did not know the extent of the damage or the amount of suffering and the need for the basic basics. I had no idea until probably Wednesday. Now this happened on Sunday I think, and I'm going to guess that if I did know as much now, many others did not either. So the lack of knowledge might be a reason the relief is coming so slow and people are wading in raw sewage for five days now. I just can not imagine, I mean come on!, this is America, I'm almost embarrassed about this.
I feel so much more for this disaster then I did for the tsunami, not because its America, and its my home turf. I know so much more, have seen so many pictures, seen so much footage, and to see a great city like New Orleans suffering WORSE than a third world country, it just makes me feel things, not good things mind you.

I wish I could help, I can not afford to donate money, does anyone else have an idea?

No comments: