Sunday, June 23, 2013

Stress

As most of you know, I am a very busy person. Even now in the summer (happy summer BTW), I am busy. I am working 5-6 days a week, plus I spend most of my time at home studying for my second  online class I am taking this summer.
This past semester was nuts, I was taking 7 classes and managed to pass with 4 A's and 3 B's. This fall, I think I am going to be taking either 4, 5 or 6 classes. I have not decided yet for sure. Plus I will still be working.
So how do I do it? How do I cope with the stress and how do I keep pushing myself to strive for better even when I am beyond exhausted?


1) Know what your goal is.

As most of you know by now, I am almost done with school. I will be graduating next spring with my AA in Language Studies and transferring to a university as a Theater major. I have a list of 6 schools I am going to be applying to. My dream school is University of California San Diego. I have several back up schools I am applying to also: San Diego State University, California State University Northridge, CSU Fullerton, CSU San Marcos and University of Central Florida. I am really praying for UCSD, I feel like I have a lot of opportunities in San Diego, but I know that getting into any university is a blessing and I will make the most of that experience.

This is the background for my computer:

That odd looking building is the main library, Geisel Library at UCSD. I have spent many hours in that library studying and hanging our with friends. This is sort of my visual motivation when I am working on my computer.

Something else I do if I have hit a moment of distraction from studying is I'll take 10 minutes or so and watch one of these two videos for inspiration:
An Overview:

 
 
 
Here is the link for the second one: Gateway to your Future.
Those are the two videos that sort of kick my butt back into studying mode.
 
 
2) Put it to a playlist.

I lived in San Diego from 2005-2006, and in 2009. Something that helps me study is music, especially music that I remember listening to when I lived in SD. It sort of keeps me going. Some music from that playlist include: Wicked, Good Charlotte, Pink, Gwen Stefani, Final Fantasy, Cirque du Soleil, and soundtracks from Sea World.
 
3) Make time every day for a little fun.

Before I go to bed, no matter how late, I try to watch one television program, just to allow myself to unwind a bit. This past winter, I watched all of Dawson's Creek, and I am currently watching Felicity. I also will sometimes watch Mythbusters if I don't want to watch something I need to pay attention to that has a story line.

4) Coffee.
 
I am blessed to have a job where I have access to unlimited coffee. If I have more than 30 minutes in the morning to get ready, I'll start up a pot of coffee. I also have on occasion consumed a 5 Hour Energy drink, but only very seldom.
 
5) Pray. Know that God has a plan for you.

I would not be here I am or who I am without the grace of God.

So that is pretty much how I have managed to keep myself going in 2013. I also recommend 1-3 , & 5 to all of you who are dealing with stress, or school. Know your goal, put it to music, and make time for fun. You're going to be fine, you are not alone.

Talk to you soon =)

UPDATE (20136/6/30)

Something that also helps be keep going is to make a little time to make yourself feel good. For example, every single day I went to school, I made time to style my hair, and to do my make up. No grungy days for me in 2013! It feels good to feel good!

No comments: