Thursday, July 19, 2012

I'm a Tree Hugger???

I had the amazing opportunity to join the senior group from church today to the Calaveras Big Trees Park today, along with my mom, Mckenna and tj. The seniors had some extra room and invited anyone in my family who was interested. My mom asked me on Monday night if I was interested and I mildly responded. Last night she reminded me of the invitation and I almost said no. But I decided to say yes and I am so glad I did. It was an amazing trip.
We began this morning at around 8 and drove north to Copperopolis (strange name huh?). The small town square reminded me of Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls, but if you can imagine, it was more perfect. There was even atmosphere music. There was a gazebo in the center, and shops, restaurants/cafes, it was beautiful. The town hall reminded me of the town hall from Back to the Future, and it is the only picture I took of the area.

McKenna was completely creeped out by Copperopolis because at 9:30 in the morning, the only shop open was the coffee shop, and there was no one in the whole town. It was like an episode of The Twilight Zone. I was not creeped out, but she certainly was.

A bit later, we got to Calaveras Big Trees. Now, you might have guessed that this park is famous for its big trees. So did I but when I got there, I discovered that it is not the trees that are big. I towered over the trees like a giant!




No I am just kidding. I did tower over these baby trees, but some other trees were huge!









McKena got a case of Twilight feaver. She was looking in the forest for vampires and Taylor Lautner. The first trail we went on and all these little signs I had her read. They had little trivia facts, and little things to notice on the trail. Then we took another trail that went up and up and there was no one around so it was nice to hear the sound of nature, then we realized if someone decided to kill us or some animal came after us, no one would ever see us again, so we headed back and poked around the visitors center.


On the way back we stopped for lunch at the Ironstone Vineyards. The food was wonderful, McKenna and I both for BLT's.


Here are some other things we saw, including a 44 pound hunk of gold!






It was a really fun day. On the way home we also stopped in Coppertopia for ice cream.
If I got another opportunity, I'd love to join the seniors from church on another trip sometime =)

No comments: